- B.S. 1983-1987, Ghent University (Belgium), Plant Biotechnology
- Ph.D. 1991-1998, Ghent University (Belgium), Plant Genetics
Academic Advisor: Dr. Dominique Van Der Straeten
- 1988–1989: Research Assistant, Laboratory of Genetics, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.
- 1989–1991: Visiting Fellow, Department of Molecular Biology, Harvard University, Boston,MA.
- 1991–1998: Research Assistant, Laboratory of Genetics, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.
- 1998–2004: Research Associate with Dr. Richard Vierstra, Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
- 2004-2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY.
- 2010: Associate Professor, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY.
- Plant hormone regulation
- Regulation of protein degradation in plant cells
- Nanoparticle plant interactions
RECENT PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. T. E. Shull, J. Kurepa and J. Smalle (2016). Cytokinin signaling promotes differential stability of type-B ARRs. Plant Signaling & Behavior 11(4).
2. J. Kurepa, Y. Li and J. Smalle (2014). Cytokinin signaling stabilizes the response activator ARR1. The Plant Journal 78, 157-168.
3. J. Kurepa, Y. Li, S.E. Perry and J. Smalle (2014). Ectopic expression of the phosphomimic mutant version of Arabidopsis response regulator 1 promotes a constitutive cytokinin response phenotype. BMC Plant Biology 14: 28.
4. J. Kurepa, R. Nakabayashi, T. Paunesku, M. Suzuki, K. Saito, G.E. Woloschak and J. Smalle (2014). Direct isolation of flavonoids from plants using ultra-small anatase TiO2 nanoparticles. The Plant Journal 77, 443-453.